Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Stuff that bugs me, Part 23,152

I guess you can't count on reporters to always get facts right, but with all of the reporting trying to shut down the vaccine/autism link, let's at least be honest about what's being alleged. A new AP story today reports on "fringe" autism treatment and makes the same silly mistake that every reporter has made since I started following such things. Note to reporters, and everyone: it's NOT about Thimerosal and mercury in vaccines, at least not so much anymore. There are many other questions, such as how a vaccine (immune stimulant) affects a child who is genetically susceptible to autoimmune, and whether vaccines can initiate infections in the intestine that block nutrient absorption. I am still waiting for somebody to explain to me why we vaccinate 1 day old children against a disease that is spread mostly by drug addicts sharing needles and prostitutes. I'm not saying I believe there's a link, or that there's not: that's a debate for another post. I'm just saying that we should at least understand the questions and be smart enough to ask them honestly.

Who am I kidding, though? My AAP-trained pediatrician doesn't ask these questions. Why should a reporter?

</rant>

No comments: